Moonshine and shisha hookah go together like peanut butter and jelly. But what happens when you have a taste for something other than just plain Moonshine? What do you mix it with? How do you prepare and smoke the perfect shisha cocktail?
SHISHA COCKTAILS: MIXING TECHNIQUES.
- The Pour and Mix:
When mixing Moonshine with a shisha cocktail, the most important thing is to pour your ingredients into your base in equal amounts. Start by pouring 50% Moonshine, then add an equal amount of juice or soda using the same bottle. You can mix the concoction using a spoon or use the bottle by inverting it and backwashing (mixing the contents of the base).
- The Shake and Pour:
If you are too lazy to mix the drink with a spoon, this is how you do it. Start by filling your base with ice, then add all the ingredients of your cocktail, close the lid on your shisha hookah, shake for 10 seconds and pour into a cup or a Moonshine jar.
- Make-Your-Own-Base Shisha cocktail:
Start by adding 50% juice to 50% soda or seltzer water, then add half as much Moonshine as juice/water/seltzer combined (so if you use 100mL of each ingredient at once, use 25mL Moonshine). This is an ideal Shisha cocktail because it is even in terms of its ingredients.
SHISHA COCKTAILS: MIXING YOUR COCKTAIL
- The Shake and Make:
Start by putting everything into the base, close it tightly, shake for 10 seconds to mix the cocktail, and then empty the contents into your cup or jar.
- The Throw and Roll:
This "technique" involves throwing your ingredients (Moonshine, juice/water/seltzer, ice) together quite vigorously between two cups for about 10-20 seconds until mixed well enough. It works best if you use a pair of identical drinks glasses for this process. This technique should only be used when making one or two servings at once; using larger amounts can cause spillage, which can be dangerous.
- The Shake and Make: (minus the ice)
Start by adding all your ingredients to the base, shake for a few seconds to mix the cocktail, and enjoy it in a glass or jar.
- The Ice Buckets: (for those who have many people smoking with them)
This is simple – use two buckets for mixing! Fill one bucket with your juice/water/seltzer, next fill the other bucket with ice, pour both into the base at once, and you're ready to go!
SHISHA COCKTAILS: FLAVORS
- Drinking Alcoholic Shishas: these are always enjoyable because they give you that strong alcoholic buzz from your cocktails, they are easy to make, and you can use any flavors you like!
- Fruity Shishas: these usually pack quite a punch, but they're still very enjoyable; the only downside is that some of the ingredients don't go well with one another (e.g., cranberry juice or apple juice aren't great together).
- Soft Drinks Shishas: These are heavenly if you have the right mix, but many combinations are bound to disappoint, so I would recommend using various types of soft drinks for different occasions.
- Mocktail/Virgin Shishas: This type of shisha is great for those who do not drink alcohol because it has all the fun of mixing without worrying about the effects of alcohol. It gets its flavor from juices, carbonated beverages, and snacks. The great thing about these cocktails is that you can put them together using almost anything!
- Mixed Drinks Shishas: These are usually based on mixed drinks like h or Tequila Sunrise; they taste delicious, but they never seem as strong as alcoholic shishas, even when made with distilled alcohols. This is because fruit juices are usually used to make the base for this type of cocktail, diluting the drink further since fruit juice has water.
- Soda Shishas: For those of you who would rather have a coke instead of a beer on a hot day, these cocktails are just the thing for you; they taste great and make your whole body feel refreshed!
- Coffee Shishas: These shishas pack quite a punch because they usually use distilled alcohols like vodka or gin as their base, which is why they work so well with coffee (which also has caffeine). You can find out how to make them here.
- Tea Shishas: These shisha cocktails go perfectly with British desserts – they're best made using brewed Earl Grey tea and milk along with various fruit juices and your choice of Moonshine or Vodka.
- Shots Shishas: The base of these shishas is usually a distilled alcohol or the type of liquor the shots are made from, so experiment with different types and have fun making them!
- Slush Shishas: This kind of shisha is great in the summertime because you can make it ahead of time and put it into ice cube trays to be ready when you need it. You can find out how to make them here.
- Mocktail/Virgin Shishas: These cocktails usually use only fruit juices as their base instead of water, carbonated beverages, or coffee; this gives them a super-sweet flavor which you might enjoy if you don't like alcoholic drinks. It's best to experiment
SHISHA COCKTAILS: TIPS
It takes longer to prepare than other types of shishas but makes up for that in taste. Fruity Shishas are usually the easiest ones to make because they're just mixed fruit juice and ice cubes. Other recipes can be found online or use your imagination. The Ice Bucket technique is good for making large batches of cocktails because you only have to clean one bucket afterward. Drinking Alcoholic Shishas are always enjoyable because they give you that strong alcoholic buzz from your cocktails, they are easy to make, and you can use any flavors you like! They're usually based on cocktails such as Sex On The Beach or Tequila Sunrise. These are usually the easiest ones to make because it's just mixed fruit juice and ice cubes. Other recipes can be found online or use your imagination.