As we all know, there are a lot of different ways to smoke tobacco or marijuana these days. There is always an option that will suit your needs, from joints and blunts to pipes and bongs. However, many people often neglect the upkeep and cleaning of their favorite smoking device, favoring convenience or time-saving measures. But do you want to put something so important in jeopardy?
We hope not! So, here's our list of top reasons why keeping your Pipe Dreams bong clean is crucial for your health:
- Keeps Ash from Infiltrating the Rest of Your Bowl
If you have ever smoked from a pipe or bong, you will understand this phobia. It is straight-up terrifying to see all the different colors of ash and residue collect at the bottom only to find tons more at the end of your session. Not only is it gross, but it can also lead to some pretty bad health problems.
- Keeps The Flavor Fresh and Pure
Another reason for keeping your device clean is that it keeps your tobacco or marijuana tasting just like you want it to. Even if you don't notice it right away, any leftover residue or ash will alter the taste of what's in your bowl, which is never good.
- Prevents Resin Build-Up
Resin builds up over time and can block airflow, making your bong difficult to operate or impossible to clean properly.
- Prevents Excess Damage and Wear & Tear on The Device
Extended use of a dirty piece can cause inoperability and cosmetic problems such as discoloration and even breakage. If you take care of your device, it can last you a long time and save you money in the process.
- Keeps Your Device Looking Fresh and New
All of the reasons on this list essentially boil down to what you might have guessed: a general sense of well-being. Cleaning your smoking device ensures that it will be free from any harm or damage, which means it will continue to function properly for as long as possible. Most importantly, maintaining your device will keep you happy and healthy, which we all want in the end.
- Keeps Your Lungs Happy
Not only can dirty pipes damage the device itself, but it also brings unwanted particles into the smoking process. When you are inhaling smoke from any device, you are taking in more than just marijuana. Potential contaminants range from ash to burnt residue. By keeping your pipe clean, you guarantee that the air you breathe is as pure as possible.
Since most people smoke weed to receive its positive effects, maintaining your device is just good sense! If you are new to the smoking world or want more information on how often you should clean your pipe, keep checking our blog for more!
- Keeps The Air Around You Clean
The smoke from a burning bowl is not always something that people want to be inhaling. There's also the matter of second-hand smoke, which can get on your clothes and in your hair or on your furniture if you're hanging out with friends who are smoking. Last but not least, residue and ash particles can become airborne and mix with the air, so keeping your device clean minimizes this risk as well.
- Prevents It from Becoming a Breeding Ground for Germs and Bacteria
Aside from all of these more irritating factors, there is also the more dangerous aspect of unhygienic pipes that you should be aware of. Bacteria, mildew and other harmful germs are all commonly found in the resin that builds up on your device. Pipes with resin not only look gross but can also cause serious health effects when inhaled.
How To Clean Your Pipes and Bongs
So, now that you know these reasons to keep your pipe clean. How do you go about doing it?
A common method is to use alcohol, which works nicely but can also be quite harsh on the glass. Vegetable oil or salt are known for performing a similar function without damaging your device. Many people recommend using lemon juice, which works very effectively to remove residue without harming the glass.
However, one of the most accessible and sustainable ways to clean your device is salt or baking soda. All you need to do is fill the part of the pipe where you put weed with a generous amount, then shake vigorously. Finally, rinse out the piece with water until all of the residues has dissolved.
Keep in mind that you should never use dish soap- this is dangerous and will harm the glass. You also shouldn't use hot water when cleansing with salt or baking soda, as this can further damage your piece.
If you want to go an extra step in ensuring that your smoking device is 100% clean, there are some more extensive techniques that you might like to try. These include soaking the pipe in some vodka or even using a Q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol.
With just some salt, water and an old toothbrush, you can get your pipe looking brand new.
Lastly, if you are constantly paranoid about the quality of your smoke but don't have the time to clean your device on a daily
So, there you have it! With this helpful list of reasons to keep your device clean, hopefully, you can see why keeping a clean bong or pipe should be a top priority for every cannabis enthusiast. And if you are looking for an easy way to properly clean your bong, you should consider a "bong cleaning kit". This cleaning kit consists of a quality bristle brush, a custom formulated natural plant-based cleaner, and our signature organic hemp wick roll.
How To Properly Clean Your Bong
If you smoke from a pipe or bong, we highly recommend cleaning it after every use. The process is pretty basic, so don't worry about it being too difficult:
- Remove all pieces and place them on a paper towel or rag to dry overnight.
- If you have water in your shot glass from rinsing, let that dry as well before replacing it with the base or stem piece.
- For acrylic or wooden devices, be sure to scrape out any excess resin build up before proceeding.
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean out any ash or residue from the bowl and/or stem. This will prevent ash from collecting in other parts of your device later on.
- Wipe down the exterior with a moist rag to remove any dust particles, drying completely afterwards.
- Next, break out the hemp wick and natural cleaner to remove any oil or residue that may be present on the outside.
- Use a paper towel with cleaner on it to wipe down your pieces. If there is excess build-up in hard-to-reach spots, use a soft-bristled brush to remove it.
- To finish the process, rinse everything with hot water and allow it to air dry completely before using your device again.
It is as simple as that! Now you have a clean bong ready for action at any time.
Useful Prevention Tips
- Clean your device immediately after every use.
- Don't wait for the resin to build up to clean it.
- Avoid clogging openings with over-packed bowls. This is the number one reason resin gets stuck in hard-to-reach places.
- If you want to get into some serious cleaning, try breaking down your pieces and soaking them in (an appropriate amount of) isopropyl alcohol overnight.
These tips should get you well on your way on how to clean a pipe.
Now that we know the benefits of proper cleaning, how do we go about actually cleaning our devices?
- If you can, try to wait until the piece is dry before packing another bowl. This will help lessen the frequency in which you need to clean it.
- For acrylic or wooden pieces, be sure to wipe them down with rubbing alcohol after each use, followed by a dry rag. Be careful when using solvents for this as they can damage the material.
- If you have a lot of resin build-up or grime in your bowl, use a small pencil or a dabber to remove these pieces. This will help lessen the chance of resin getting stuck in other parts of your device.
- Avoid filling any pipe more than 1/3 full as this greatly increases the chance of resin building up inside the pipe instead of the bowl.
- Clean your device after every use. No exceptions!
If you follow these simple guidelines, hopefully, you can keep your piece looking brand spanking new for many years to come.
All in all, the best advice we can give you is to clean your device after every use! It takes a maximum of 5 minutes, preventing unnecessary damage, both aesthetic and health-wise.